Rails reached Houghton Point on July 21, 1883.
This led to the construction of the Houghton Depot and the development of Houghton Village.
The railroad brought many vacationers to the lakeshore.
Bayviews's History from European arrival to present
Many artifacts have been found along the lake shore area suggesting that there may have been fur trading post activity.
Houghton Village was developed in the 1880s for the workers of the brownstone quarries. This included a boarding house, post office and homes. The school and the depot still exist today.
By 1890, immigrants from Finland arrived and developed a settlement west of the Sioux River. Today, remnants of the Finn settlement remain and its location is identified by a historical markers located at the north end of Big Rock Road and Friendly Valley Road.
Though we know a lot about Bayview, much remains unknown. Members of the BHC are actively looking for information on Bayview’s history with a goal of producing a complete history of this area and offering educational programs in the restored depot.
Quarries were the reason Houghton Village was built by Prentice in the 1880s.
The Bodin docks that still remain along the lakeshore speak of a history of fishing that still exists today.